Steps to Discover Your Spiritual Gifts
It is important to discover your spiritual gift. Discovering that gift is not an exact science but would be best described as a journey or a process. Here are some ideas to help you find your gift:
For the Christian Who has Served in Ministry:
Pray: Put your heart in neutral, and pray for God to reveal this to you.
Read Scriptures of Spiritual Gifts:
- What makes your heart leap?
- Which one do you think describes you?
- Write this down
Examine Your Service:
- Ask yourself out of all the areas you have ministered and served which did you enjoy the most?
- not where you were out of fear
- not where it was easy
- but what gave you the greatest peace and satisfaction
- In which ministry or area of service did you excel?
- In which ministry or area of service did you see fruit in your own growth and to others?
- In which ministry or area of service did you improve?
- Is there an area of ministry that you have been drawn to but have been afraid or not had the opportunity?
- If so take the plunge go for that, try it for a while and then review it compared to the other places.
Ask Trusted Christians:
- Ask someone(s) who has worked with you in ministry what your strengths, weaknesses, and where your gift maybe.
- Ask someone(s) who supervised you in ministry – pastor, staff member, team leader, ministry director.
- Ask a Christian friend
- Ask a family member (they will be able to tell you what you talk the most about, your passion)
- Ask your spouse (they will be able to tell you what you talk the most about, your passion)
- Complete spiritual gift Inventory/Test. Like this one [here]. The score sheet is [here].
- For placement and fine tuning…
- Complete interest inventory
- Complete talent inventory
- Complete experience/training inventory
For the New Christian or a Christian Who Has Not Served:
- Pray for direction and a starting point
- Read Scriptures of gifts see where you are drawn.
- Complete a Spiritual Gift Inventory/test. Like this one [here]. The score sheet is [here].
- Complete interest inventory or simply list your ministry interests.
- Complete talent inventory or simply list your talents and skills.
- Complete experience/training inventory or simply list what God has already allowed you to learn.
- Start where those results direct, but try numerous ministries.
- Once you have tried different areas of service follow the steps for Christians who have served.